Tottenham avoided Premier League relegation but Gary Neville has branded their season "pathetic" and called on the ownership to conduct a thorough review of what has gone wrong.
For the second season in a row Spurs have finished 17th in the table. But while last year came with the bonus of a Europa League triumph, Spurs supporters have endured a miserable campaign this time around.
Joao Palhinha's winner against Everton at least saved their top-flight status but Neville is clear major surgery is required to return Tottenham back to the top end of English football.
"Is it too far to say that they've been pathetic? That they should be ashamed of themselves? Probably not," said the Sky Sports pundit.
- Final Premier League table | Top scorers | Watch FREE PL highlights
- Premier League 26/27 dates - when are fixtures released?
- Window opens June 15 - follow Transfer Centre LIVE!
"This is Tottenham Hotspur. I know sometimes I get mocked for saying this is Manchester United, but this is a football club steeped in incredible traditions.
"Now they've not won trophies for a long time regularly, even though they won a Europa League last year, which was fantastic. It was great for this fanbase to celebrate a trophy.
"But they've been underachievers and underperforming for a long time. This is another level underachievement and hitting new lows. The last two years in the Premier League."
On the overhaul required, he said: "There's got to be a massive reset; there's got to be an autopsy that goes really deep right the way through the club.
"When you're owners of a football club - and I'm an owner of a football club - sometimes you have to start by looking in the mirror yourself.
"Success sometimes doesn't come in a football club because of the decisions that you [the owner] make, because of what you do. Not because of what the fans, what the players, or what the coaches do.
"I mean, appointing Igor Tudor and having to sack him within a few weeks - he didn't feel right; that appointment from day one, did it? It just didn't connect.
"Sacking Ange Postecoglou and bringing in Thomas Frank, someone who's highly respected, bringing in Igor Tudor, now bringing De Zerbi in.
"What a rollercoaster of a season. [The owners] have lost a lot of credibility and trust. You can see the signs that are up against the owners, and I'm not surprised."
De Zerbi wants to build 'dream' team - but only 12 good enough to stay
After securing Tottenham's Premier League status, head coach Roberto De Zerbi set out his vision for next season, describing how he will try to build the "team I have in my dream". But he warned only a dozen of Spurs' players are of the level to continue the journey with him.
"From tonight, we have to start to organise and to build a new team," he said. "I think we have not to change too many players.
"We have 10, 11, 12 players good enough to stay. And then we have to complete the squad with first level of players.
"First level of players because we suffered too much. I suffered a lot but the fans, the club, the board, the players, they suffered too much. We are Tottenham and we can't suffer like this until the last second of the last game to stay up.
"And I will be stronger. I don't want to decide alone because football is a group.
"Sport director, scouting, CEO, but my target now is finished to stay up. My target is to start the pre-season with the team I have in my dream, in my head."
Asked if Joao Palhinha is part of those plans, following the crucial goals he has scored against Wolves and Everton, De Zerbi said: "I would like to keep him 100 per cent.
"For sure I would like him to stay with me. Like Conor Gallagher. Like Kolo [Randal Kolo Muani]."
Van de Ven: We have the right people now, the right manager
Spurs centre-back Micky van de Ven believes the club are now on the right path, with De Zerbi leading the team.
"Really confident [there will be improvements next season]," he said. "I think we have the right people now here, the right manager. So yeah, I'm confident that we can do more next year.
"Two years in a row we end up 17th, which is unacceptable, especially for a club like Spurs. So things are going to need to change next season and we're going to see if that's going to happen.
"We're going to do everything about it and I'm confident that we're going to do way better than we did the last two seasons."
(c) Sky Sports 2026: Tottenham: Gary Neville labels Spurs' season as 'pathetic' as Roberto De Zerbi plans to build a 'dream' team

Arsenal lift the Premier League trophy: Why Mikel Arteta's side are worthy champions despite criticism over style of play